.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 05, 2008

 

Planning for 2008

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Forward 2008; My Spiritual Resolutions
2008 has began and in the past few days, I have been reflecting upon 2007 and yes, I had my equal share of bad things as well as good things and blessings. Now having took some time to reflect about how my 2007 isn't all that bad, it would be a good time to look forward at 2008 and frankly, there is a kind of excitement with what 2008 brings. Perhaps, new years are like that; it gives people a sense of being able to start afresh and a "second chance" of trying their hand at setting things right... so I am pretty hopeful of quite a few things for the new year. So far, my spiritual resolution is as follows:
  1. Quiet Time - to be disciplined in my quiet time in the morning so I can continue to hear from God and lead my cell and to fulfill His will for me and the cell and to minister
  2. Worship - I am hoping to be able to resume taking up guitar again so I can help lead worship since our cell is lacking worship people now... hope I can overcome the pains of learning guitar
  3. Fellowship - To grow in fellowship with my members and be available for them when they need me. This may mean that I may need to take some time to meet up with members individually and that is something I need to overcome
  4. Thanksgiving - I will continue to give thanks so as to be aware of how real God is in my life and to realise how blessed I had been; rather than focusing on the negatives all the time
  5. Ministry - (i) to be focused on cell ministry for this year and (ii) learn to increase spiritual ownership in cell through delegation, (iii) to continue to minister to people God brings into my life and (iv) challenge members to grow spiritually and lastly, to grow cell to membership of 10 healthy growing members by end 2008
  6. Prayer - to pray for my loved ones and every cell member by name every morning
  7. Discipleship - To attend at least 1 Christian Education (CE) course this year
  8. Missions - If funds and time permits, one mission trip
Something's Brewing?
On Friday, I did sit my cell members down to reflect upon 2007 and to give thanks and close 2007. Next week, I will try to see how I can get everyone (with whoever I have left in cell, the 5 of us) to tie down the focus for the year. Anyway, I thank God for how cell turned out on Friday. Yes, I am kind of upset that only 5 turned up but then I also thank God for every single one of them.

I have mentioned that I seem to sense from God that He is doing something different with this cell but I am not really sure whether it is God's calling for me or my cell. If indeed it is a cell's calling then, it would make sense why this transition is taking place because there needed to be a suitable culture to minister to these people and the old culture may not be suitable. Whether the calling is for me or cell, I feel that God is asking to reach out to three group of people... it has become clear that over the last few months the kind of people God had been sending my way; the backslided, broken and misled. In addition, there is also something which seems to indicate to me that some of these people will not stay because my cell may serve like a petrol kiosk, refilling people and refreshing them for their journey; some may choose to stay while some may not but nonetheless, the cell will still be an impact in their spiritual journey, being a turning point for some of them. (Picture "Fuel 2" by topfer)

Coming from a backslided background, I kind of have burden for people who have backslided and God had also placed the burden in me to minister to the heart-brokened and misled; giving me the ability to not be judgmental and turn them away. I guess that would be the part which might be the part about my ministry not being easy; the possibility of being rejected by them. And maybe God had been preparing me all these while with the circumstances I had gone through. A couple of days ago, I was asking for God's confirmation about this calling and as I flipped through the bible, my eyes came to Jeremiah 51 which spoke of asking Israel to prepare for battle (so is there going to be a spiritual battle of "snatching" these souls from the devil?) and then Nehemiah 1 which spoke of rebuilding Jerusalem (rebuilding cell). Today, I have asked for confirmation and flipped to Jeremiah 1 on the anointing of Jeremiah and God asking him not to be afraid:

Jeremiah 1:6-8
"Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak, I am only a child." But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 1:17-19
"Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. 18 Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. 19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.


You see, I am all OK that God had spoken about spiritual warfare, about not being afraid, about how He is with me, but then if you know Jeremiah, you know he did not have an easy job and it was a tough ministry. Well, that worries me... But the thing that bothers me is that I am still not sure if indeed God is calling me and/or my cell for this ministry. Did ask everyone to go back to pray about it and we will discuss cell's direction next week. I do not want to misread God.

Encouraging Weekend
I really thank God for a encouraging weekend. Firstly, we had a dinner appointment with our Zone Pastor (ZP) on Saturday with 4 other leaders and 2 AOs. At first, I was a little uncomfortable because the introverted me was just sitting there like a block of wood, all quiet. Then, later on in the night, our ZP asked for everyone to share about their experience leading cell in 2007. For once, I got to hear how other cell leaders also have struggles, some same and some different from me. I have come to realise that I am not alone. And when I later also heard about what our AOs and ZP had to deal with, it also encouraged me abit; knowing that I am not alone. It was also a bit touching as I heard my AO share that he is so appreciative his leaders stayed with him and continue to have the heart to serve, though I am still afraid of his task-orientedness sometimes.

At cell on Friday, I also thank God when two members gave thanks to God for bringing them to this cell. Frankly, I had all along felt that my cell is in a mess but then to hear this was a little shocking... But then, it was a kind of affirmation how God has a plan for this cell because it was really exciting to see how God is using this cell, seeing people who have been searching for church and cell has chosen to settle in. I really pray and hope that this cell will minister and help them to grow spiritually.

Today, I also thank God for a friend coming to church. Have been praying for this friend and it was really great seeing this friend back again. I also thank God for wonderful fellowship I had today... I had woke up today feeling a little chirpy and decided that I would like to gather a few people from cell together for lunch; something which we had not done for a long time. In the end, although only 3 (including my sister) came along with another cell, it was a good time of catching up with one of the new members to my cell. It was just amazing how the chance just came when everybody seemed to congregate at another table in the hawker centre, leaving me time to talk to this new member who is rather quiet. It was also amazing seeing how he opened up and shared... thank God for chance to open up to one another. Then, after the lunch, I also had a chance to further fellowship with another two friends from another cell. I do not know what was wrong with me but then I talked a lot today and was less uptight. Anyway, I thank God again for another blessed fellowship, just like the dinner with other cell leaders and our ZP yesterday night, as we shared and talked. I do not know whether I have spoken the right thing but then I trusted God worked through the session and I just hoped I had been able to share with them what God had wanted me to say.

Others
OK, some miscellaneous stuff... on Friday, I was informed by my boss that NCSS will be coming to audit our organisation, following all the recent scandals and saga about mismanagement of charities. Frankly, I trust my organisation and trust it will do well in the audit because I had seen the leadership and people at work; a group of people who are passionate about their jobs and who are focused on the care of beneficiaries but then I do not hope to hear any bad news. Then, boss also shared that volunteer management will also be audited which got me a little jittery. Well, I have been doing my best and do not have anything to hide but then the thought of being audited is nerve-wrecking. Then, as if that wasn't nerve-wrecking enough, my AO SMSed me on Friday morning say that our Senior Pastor would like to visit cells and asked what time we are meeting and where. Wow, my heart nearly jumped out but thank God in the end he visited another cell.


Also went around and bought my sister a digital camera... Sponsored about 80% of the cost of a Canon Ixus 860 IS as her Christmas present... just a way of showing my appreciation for how she had been such a wonderful sister to me so far :) I also thank God for a fulfilling week at work in the first work week of 2008. Through 3 days, I had been able to clear and follow-up with majority of my "piled up" emails from the time I was on leave, tidied my table, design yet another form and discovering exciting features in word which allowed tables to autonumber as you type, autocreate table headers as you document spills into a new page etc.

Also played another new game on Saturday, Stop Disasters! which is developed as a free game by UN/ISDR. My aim was to prepare a town/city against natural disasters such as floods, hurricanes, tsunami, earthquake and wild fires. What a sense of satisfaction when the disaster strikes and lives were saved. Here are my results for the @ http://www.stopdisastersgame.org/en/playgame.html. I won some, I failed some :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!