.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, December 31, 2007

 

Looking Back, Looking Forth

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Today is the last day of 2007 and soon, I will be off to the hotel for my annual hotel stayover fellowship with a few JC friends; we always meet up on New Year's eve for a hotel stayover to just fellowship, play some games and just relax. Looking forward to it!

OK, here's the report card for 2007, vis-a-vis the resolutions I made last year for 2007:
  1. Leading a healthy lifestyle - Well, I did start my healthy lifestyle in 2007 and I actually went on weekly jogs with my colleagues. However, it kind of fizzled out towards the end of the year with my reservist training and also my leg ache. Now, I think I am even heavier than I was in 2006; I can literally feel that I am fatter liaoz. Really hope my leg will get better soon so I can start my exercise routine again. So, result: Not-that-successful
  2. Leading a balanced lifestyle - OK, I made a resolution to lead a more balanced lifestyle and to have more time away from work and more time for myself. The good news is that I have chosen to step down from my CCA; from one professional association. I have also started to spend less time at work, trying not to stay late at work and I have somewhat succeeded in that. However, I also found myself rather occupied with cell ministry. So, result: Somewhat-successful
  3. Being Punctual for Work - Result: Not successful
  4. Spot a New Look - Result: Not successful
  5. Growing Spiritually - Result: Successful
  6. Being Humble - Result: Somewhat-successful
  7. Being Financially Prudent - Well, I still seem to be spending a bit on taxi but then with the recent sharp increase in cab fares, I am already taking less taxi. Result: Somewhat-successful
So, not that bad after all la, though it can be better.

My friend has told me a few days ago that my blog was getting rather "frustratingly depressing" and I couldn't agree more... I have realised that from November onwards, my blog entries seem to be rather depressing. So, I had wanted to end 2007 on a relatively lighter note and also reflect upon how God had worked in 2007 and give thanks for them. It's a good time to also reflect upon the blessings and to just realise how it is not altogether bad at all. Looking through my blog, I give thanks to God for...
  1. ... friends He had placed around me; people who have made a big difference in my life and who have always been there for me when I needed them. Thank you my dear friends, all of you out there
  2. ... my sister for always being there to encourage me on spiritually and also helping me with stuff at home when I am lazy. I really appreciate her (though I am silent about it)
  3. ... for my wonderful colleagues who are ever so fun and nice to be with
  4. ... for guarding my working relationships with my colleagues so much so there are no major conflicts so far
  5. ... watching over my dad's health; that despite doctor suspecting his kidney would fail and that he would have lymphoma, so far everything is OK and he seems to be keeping well
  6. ... my life and being reminded at service yesterday how blessed I am to be born in Singapore and also be blessed with so many things we can take for granted. Yes, I still do have my worries and struggles, but then when I do look at lives outside Singapore; at people who live in places with low life expectancy and where they do not get to enjoy the luxuries we enjoy and take for granted here in Singapore, I come to realise I am still blessed
  7. ... my work which I so enjoy and how God has blessed my hands at my work ministry despite being totally new to volunteer resources management. I still thank God for bringing me to my current organisation. So far, things are well in my work ministry and I have received lots of affirmation from various people, but I can only give glory to God for blessing the ministry because I know it is not me. I also thank God for helping me to cope at work; looking back at blog entries, it is just amazing how God has helped me to pull through tough projects and also helped "moderated" my workload during times when I faced struggles.
  8. ... for affirmations I have received in my area of work with job offers, requests to do sharing/presentations about volunteer resources management and also write articles for publications. I also thank God for the affirmation I have received with my appraisal and bonus.
  9. ... for working with my hurt with the "friend who was beginning to hate me". It has been 2 years now but I thank God for working with that hurt and addressing it through the New Life Encounter retreat in October so much so I have more or less closed that chapter of my life
  10. ... for my spiritual growth through the whole year though it has been tough. However, one thing for sure is that I have grown through the year and with OTC, I have come to learn more about the character of God. As pointed out by my Area Overseer, it seems that I am also able to hear from God rather clearly and I thank God for that.
  11. ... for Jerry the giant bear in my office; a bear that is so cute and adorable that everyone wants to hug whenever they pass by my office
  12. ... for inspiration people in my life including a brother-in-christ at work who is using his giftings for God's work and passionate volunteers etc
  13. ... for spiritual growth of my members and people who I care for
  14. ... for giving me the burden for other's spiritual growth and walk; for God's calling for me to reach out to the broken-hearted, backslided and misled though it is a tough ministry
  15. ... for this blog, which has helped me to deal with some of my negative emotions, see how God has been faithful and always working and encourage others
  16. ... for God always working with me in cell ministry; always helping me in my cell preparation and speaking to me week after week through cell preparation and always sending "inspirations" through timely devotions, resources, conversations and people etc
  17. ... for God constantly being patient with me and despite me wanting to step down almost 5 times now, He had always send people to come to minister to me, encourage me, speak to me through sermons, circumstances, worship songs, SMSes etc. It's just amazing how God works and sometimes even minister through people you least expect to, movies, NS, diary and even cartoon character like Jet-Jet :)
  18. ... all the people God has sent to encourage me on spiritually
  19. ... for the mission trip which has shown me how much God is in control and when He preserved my life
  20. ... for the spiritual retreat with my colleague and the encouragement from 2 Timothy 2
  21. ... for always ministering through me to different people throughout the year; using my experiences to help understand what they are going through and helping me to say the things you want me to say
  22. ... for spiritual confrontations from the brother-in-christ who gave me a "kick in my butt", about biblical soundness of some devotions and also about hanging on to God's calling while the moulding is taking place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!