.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

To Blog or not to Blog?

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Hmm, incidentally, right after I sent my previous blog, received an email from a friend with a link toa document on anonymous blogging and how to blog and work round censorship... How timely...

I read through the handbook a little and must say that I do find some value in somethings which was mentioned in that book, particularly the section on "What really makes a blog shine?" which provided insights into what makes people come back to a blog. According to them:

  • A unique and personal voice
  • Keep it current
  • Connect with and empower readers
  • Tell truth to power
Now, I have no intentions of making this into a blog into one with political commentary but then I feel that I need to say something as a new member of the blogging community. I agree with the first 3 points mentioned but not fully with the 4th. In my opinion, I feel that with power come great responsibility (sounds familiar? :D). I mean it is true that blogs can empower and can help to uncover truths and fight injustice. But as much as it can be empowering, it can also be abused and manipulative.

I was equally shocked that someone here is being persecuted for his blog but then to what extent should one be free to voice his views, whether objective in the first place? It is the debate of individual rights vs the rights of a society. I think this issue is always the butt of debates, especially in university. My perspective: you can have your rights as an individual but then if it harms others or compromises the rights of others, then it stops there.

I asked my friend this question: are people fighting for the sake of fighting? People fight for more freedom and this is especially acceptable if it is set against injustice. However, are we ready to deal with the consequences of a successful battle? Once we win the battle, what next? Will the success be manipulated and abused by others, and so the cycle starts again?

This is my two cents' worth on the issue and I rest my case. As I mentioned, this is my blog, a blog which helps me with my reflection of my life and I want to keep it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!