.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

 

Joy-Riding in a MaxiCab

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Had a job interview early this morning at 8.30am. In the end, I only finished preparing for my job interview and left my home at 7.30am. Not wanting to be late, I decided to take a taxi.

Going on a Joy-Ride
Soon after, a Maxicab appeared from the corner of my eye and I hesitated for a while whether I should flag it down. You see, Maxicabs (those big van-type cabs) are seen in Singapore but somehow you do not see many around and wonder if they do take passengers off the streets or if they charge higher rates. I decided to try anyway and the friendly driver signalled me to hop on board. Hahaha, interesting "joy-ride" just before my interview. It did feel kinda strange boarding such a big vehicle but the experience was so unique. I chit-chatted with the driver and understand that there are only slightly more than a hundred maxicabs in Singapore (phew and I got one) and most do not take passengers off the streets because they usually serve the airport (as shuttle services for passengers with bulky luggages) and are booked on hourly slots. He also shared that some Maxicab drivers are comfortable just doing this and do not see themselves taking passengers off the streets. Now, this explains why you don't see many around at cab stands etc... Eventually arrived at my interview place at 8am and the ride did "perked" me up a little.


Solemn Solemn Interview

I soon reported to the place where my interview will be conducted and submitted my documents. Having some 30 minutes available, I started going through my research on the organization as well as continue to think of answers to possible questions. Despite the interview being at 8.30am, the interviewers did not arrive till much later at 8.45am. I was also soon joined at the waiting area by a few other candidates who looked so solemn... anyway, my name was soon called out and I went into the interview room.

Now, this interviewing panel is very different from the one I met yesterday. Though I had 3 interviewers who are relatively young today, the whole atmosphere seemed so "cold". After a while, I concluded that I most probably will not be able to engage them since they are so cold. My interview was over in about 10 minutes. Although I felt I handled the interview well, I generally feel that I did not handle one question well i.e. Will you consider other positions within our organization? I gave a general "yes" answer but also shared that I hope to work in a portfolio which would allow me to work with people (my passion), utilizing my skills and allowing me the leeway to be creative. Do not know how they assessed my answer since they were quite expressionless. I also did not give longer elaborations to my answers (although I would have loved to) as I felt somehow they weren't quite keen to listen. It is like they have a list of questions to cover and would like to move on to the next question. Well, I left the centre, knowing I did my best...


B.I.O. (Breakfast in Office)

I folded up my sleeves and made my way back to office to finish some work. On my way back, I stopped by at a nearby coffeeshop to buy "kaya toast" for my staff and Mac for myself. This "free-and-easy" kind of feeling is such a nice one.

I GOT IT!
After working for a while, I soon received a call from the christian organization I went for interview yesterday. The HR director called to inform that they would like to offer me the job and asked if I will be keen. YES! We talked a little and she was telling me how her staff is now having fun reshuffling my room so I can move in. This sounds very family-like and I so look forward to meeting these people and working in such an environment. Will be going down to HR tomorrow to discuss terms and sign the Letter of Appointment.

Though I am thrilled about the offer, I somehow have this negative feeling tugging at a corner of my heart. The bad SMS I received from my friend yesterday evening seems to be the cause. However, in the end, I reminded myself that I am not accountable to anyone for my career choice and since this seems to be a place where I can serve my purpose, use my giftings, grow both professionally and spiritually, why not? To top that, it is near my house.


Revisiting my University
Met 2 friends and decided to make our way to NUS for lunch. We soon settled ourselves down at a cafe just besides the park behind the Central Library. Boy, it felt wonderful sitting in a cafe, next to a park, taking my time to have lunch. Kinda make me miss the good old days when I used to study here. The place also looked so different now... it seems nicer after extensive renovations here and there but is also seems terribly crowded... there seems to be people everywhere... far too many people... I still prefer the old campus.


Unwell... Oh no!
Left for home about 3 plus... slept throughout the afternoon... somehow feel that I am falling sick... couldn't sleep well and have this "hot" feeling. Hope I do manage to get enough rest before I start work, don't wish to fall sick and waste this rest period... maybe I am still affected by yesterday's SMS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!