.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, September 26, 2005

 

Choing Tok Choing!

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Hmm, woke up a little sleepy and somewhat dragged myself to church yesterday morning, guess I slept too late the night before, was spending it with some friends. Biblical Perception of Work Arrived on time at the MRT station to catch the shuttle to service and made a new friend. Started to chat with this lady who was also waiting for the shuttle. Anyway, yesterday's sermon seemed to take a more solemn style; was on "when your work doesn't work for you anymore". I have come to realize (again) that I get my self-worth from my work and it shouldn't be so. Am reminded that our work here is work of toil to remind us of our sins and that I should not base my worth on work but further... on my position in Christ. Anyway, a statement struck me greatly...

"You are a creation with a purpose to do great things not great harm to yourself".

At the end, what I do as work should bring me closer to God and not further... The elder prayed for everyone including people like me who are in between jobs and know not what to do. Am reminded that I can always do the work of God even if I am not working... think this made me decide to go ahead with volunteering this eveing even though my friend is sick and not able to join me...

My "First" Volunteering Experience
It is surprising even to myself that despite me working in the social services, I hardly volunteer. Which is why I agreed to help out a group of elderly, chaperoning them to a nearby CC for cantonese opera. Arrived at the home at about 6pm and met 2 other volunteers. Kindly of was standing around not knowing what to do and being the me who is slow to warm up, I wasn't comfortable with the elderly. Somehow, didn't really know why I am so afraid of them. Anyway, throughout the evening, I did my best to help the elderly but somehow didn't do much befriending because I kind of felt shy amidst their presence (kind of was blaming myself for being so uptight...). Anyway, this is the first time I had to sit through a cantonese opera despite not knowing what is going on. Quite an experience!


Beijing Chinese Opera 4 by xenin

Anyway, halfway through the opera, me and the other 2 volunteers want to "take a breather" outside (guess we all didn't see ourselves sitting through the opera :)). We informed the person in charge and went to the nearby town centre to get some bubble tea and chit chatted. Soon, we returned to the CC some 1 hour plus later only to find that majority of the elderly have left because it was cold and some did not understand the opera because they don't understand cantonese. Despite having informed the person-in-charge that we will be away but be back soon, I still somehow couldn't help but feel guilty for not being "responsible". Anyway, we stayed with a couple of elderly who stayed behind to finish the opera and sent them back home. I guess, although I was spening most of the evening "scolding" myself for being so uptight and not doing much befriending, I did enjoy the company of the senior citizens. In the end, they are not so scary and are very friendly people. Love it when they give you their innocent toothless smile.

Roadtrip!
Although I only reached home about eleven plus at night, I soon found myself out again with a friend, exploring new places that I have pinpointed on my google earth. We explored places like Changi International Business Park, Kranji Dam, NTU and Greenwood Avenue (looking for Lana Cake Shop). I also brought him to Bedok North Blk 85 for the infamous "Bak Cho Mee" (the soupy one). We finally retired at 4am... Shall continue to find more nice and "little-known" chill out places in Singapore and mark them on my google earth... akan datang :D


roadtrip 1 by cmdrfuzz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!