.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, December 23, 2005

 

My Mission

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Today was a short day at work... went to work late and there was basically no phonecalls and no emails to follow-up so I soon found myself downstairs helping with the prep work for our Christmas celebrations. It was a half-day at work today and so I was soon on my way home after the party to rest for a while before my cell group's carolling tonight. Real excited because I had never carol before and my 1st carolling experience is actually in cantonese, hokkien and chinese... real challenge siah!

My First Carolling Experience

Equipped with my "hanyu-pinyin" filled song sheet, we made our way to the 3 houses where we are going to carol. Tonight, we are going to visit 3 needy families. We arrived at the first house and did our bit of the show. It was a blessing that everything went well despite the fact that we had only practice once so far and some of us did not know hokkien and some did not know cantonese.

When we entered the flats of these elderlies, we noticed that it is bare, with only the basic necessities i.e. beds and maybe a table and a few chairs, nothing lavish, these elderlies lived a simple life. When we entered the second house, a rather foul smell greeted us so much so it was rather difficult to sing with that smell. But we gritted our teeth and carolled. After a while, we got quite used to the smell and eventually even stayed on to chit-chat with the uncle.

I sat beside the uncle on his sofa and chit-chatted with him with my other cell group mates but was soon quietly reminded by one to change when I got home because the flat had bed bugs. Upon hearing this, I gracefully stood up and continued talking while standing... guess I did not want to take chances with bed bugs.

Made for a Mission
In retrospect, I think I can summarize my struggles this week with one word "Mission". Incidently, I was given a book by my ex-sup entitled "You Were Made for a Mission" and it was a thin book; something which I like because I forever do not have the motivation to finish reading books, always stop half-way. Anyway, was reading it on my way home and realized that I have been struggling with the issue of "mission" this week. One sentence caught my attention:
"Jesus calls us not only to come to him, but to go for him"

I guess this just about sums up the last purpose of the purpose-driven life. Over the past 4 months, my life has changed and I was sharing my testimony with some of my dear friends. I am also struggling with the decision whether to talk to my friend who seems to be in a cult to get him back on track but guess I somehow pushed that to the back of my mind because it was a difficult decision to make. But now it became clear especially with the following statements...

"If your neighbour had cancer or AIDS and you knew the cure, it would be criminal to withhold that lifesaving information"

"The Bible says, 'You must warn them so they may live. If you don't speak out to warn the wicked to stop their evil ways, they will die in their sins. But I will hold you responsible for their deaths.'"


I guess from these 2 statements that it becomes clear of God's instruction to me just when I am having this struggle (I realized that these few months, that whenever I have a struggle with an issue, a lesson will soon follow). I have decided to speak to maybe my cell group leader to see how I can go forth from here but I am really praying for guidance and wisdom.

Anyway, I have only finished 8 pages of that book, hope I can find motivation to finish it soon. :)
Just 2 days ago, I was reminded of my purpose to work with volunteers to care for the needy and now this.

Wanna Go Hong Kong
Right after carolling, I met up with my 2 friends since they lived just a couple of blocks away and we went to this new 24 hours Dim Sum place in Hougang South. The atmosphere really reminded me of Hong Kong with its bright bright colours and vibranct decor... we also ordered quite a bit of hong kong dim sum. I even suggested going to Hong Kong with these 2 friends maybe next year hahaha... see got $$ first or not la :)


Dim Sum "all-around-the-clock"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!