.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

 

And the Nominees for Supporting Role...

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Ask Your Neighbour!
Sometimes, we tend to take things for granted so much so we don't realize that they are there just near to us. I was going around trying to find a scanner to scan something to attach to email and eventually I went to my colleagues to ask them whether they have a scanner.

As one of my colleagues was thinking where I can get a scanner, the other colleague hollered "Ask your neighbour la!" I didn't quite get her at first but later realized that: "Oh yes! The colleague sitting beside me had a big scanner which she use for her work (her job is to scan things)" Duh! Hahaha, we all laughed about it and I blushingly went back to my office. So embarrassing!

You Need a Bib!
My friends have always joked that they will one day get me a bib for my birthday because I am always dirtying myself whenever I eat. Yes, I did it again today and was eating Kway Chup and you guess it... I have 4-5 droplets of oil on my shirt... way unprofessional... sigh...

Anyway, on my way back to office, bought some mochi ice-cream for my colleagues and fortunately I did not further dirty my already kway-chup stained shirt.

Me? Inefficient?!
I really hate it when people hint that I am inefficient! I am one person who takes every task I do seriously and I will do it to the best of my ability... Similarly, for my previous job, I have handed over everything properly with proper documentation and everything filed in their respective files... I ensured that every aspect of my job is handed over and even developed workflows to document what I do. All these have been handed over.

However, today I received an email from my new director asking me things which I have already handed over... apparently some things have not been handed over properly to the director after I left. Fortunately, I was able to answer all his question over the phone and was even able to tell him where to find what he needs. I have put in my best to ensure a smooth transition and hate it when people make me look stupid and inefficient!

Playing a Supportive Role
Had wanted to provide some support to my friend who was terminated yesterday, so asked her and her boyfriend out for the evening for a simple gathering. Was glad to see her OK and guess that this would be a good break for her.

And we were so happy to find another good chill out place in Toa Payoh Central... I mean, with the HDB Hub, Toa Payoh now seems to be so overcrowded, it seems almost impossible to find a quiet place to chill out there. Anyway, we found this nice and surprisingly quiet cafe eatery, Arts Bristo, just above KFC. The food is cheap (no GST charged) and not bad. Most importantly, it is quiet and really chilly :)



Later in the night, received a call from another friend who was having problem with her boss being too overbearing. Somehow, she does not share the same vision with her boss and feels that her boss is being too fickle-minded, not having a clear direction of where he is going with the organization and keeps coming up with business ideas that was irrelevant to the original mission of the organization. As we continued to talk to one another, we both agreed that it is only fair that the boss know how she really feels about the ideas rather than keeping quiet about it, only to have it "explode" one day.

Providing Feedback
But I sincerely believe that whenever we give feedback, we need to first be genuine about why we are making that feedback and set the tone correct before giving the feedback. In this way, the other party will more or less understand the rationale and context for making the feedback and not misunderstand that we are attacking him/her as a person. And when we give the feedback, we should also be clear that we are addressing the issue and behaviour and not attacking the other party as a person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!