.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, December 12, 2005

 

Boss Not Happy

Listen to this article Listen to this article

I was one of the first to reach office today (usually one of the last few to reach office). Guess everyone has been so tired out at the department gathering yesterday so had problem waking up.

Boss Unhappy
Anyway, boss seems unhappy today. When I entered the office later that day, heard her saying something like "if it is like this, then I think I will not attend in future...". Heard that our boss has been rushing around from event to event and when she eventually reached the department gathering at about 10, we have gone home... think she must have been frustrated with all the rushing only to see no one around. Can see that everyone was rather affected by this and there was a bit of awkward silence...

Firefighting (Yet) Again
Think I am becoming a real firefighter... remember the situation I mentioned a few entries ago about a group of volunteers withdrawing from a fund-raising project to participate in my project? I though I have settled the issue but here it comes back to haunt me again. Apparently, the students withdrew but did not inform the affected persons-in-charge that they have withdrew (my fault too for not checking and ensuring that they informed them).

To recap, I re-channeled them back to the fund-raising project but this time to just one of my fellow coordinators rather than to many coordinators; it would be easier to coordinate this group of students with just 1 coordinator than with many coordinators which complicates matters. Now, this became something sensitive because the respective persons-in-charge may have felt that I or this fellow coordinator may have stolen the volunteers away. Sigh, another problem... just another day in the life of a Volunteer Coordinator... excited huh?

But, I still have to inform all the person-in-charge that the students pulled out and was typing a mass mail to all them to explain the situation. Am real glad that I did not send this mass mail out and consulted my boss... turns out that by sending the mass mail out... I would worsen the situation because everyone will start complaining considering the scale of this problem and how many people it affected. In the end, I sent individual emails to each person-in-charge to inform them about the withdrawal. Another important lesson learnt... emails have its pros and cons and when communicating sensitive issues... do not mass mail, rather try to use the phone if possible.

Can Microwave Meh?
Today, my department decided to lunch-in becasue we had so much curry left from yesterday's gathering. Just before lunch, we were like examining the tupperware in which the curry came in and wonder if it is microwaveable.

There was this funny sight... one of my colleague was on the phone trying to find out if the tupperware was microwaveable and another was holding the curry-filled container just above her head, examining its bottom to see if it is safe to microwave... when I walked in and saw this, it looked as if my colleague was trying to pour the curry over the other colleague :) I tend took over the container and started to examine the bottom and this time, my boss came in, saw me holding the container over my colleague's head and also thought I was going to pour it over... hahaha...

Achievement
My briefcase was getting fatter by the day because of all the work files I printed out and some rough paper which I scribbled notes on... Managed to clear and file quite a lot of things and also placed quite a number of volunteers today... Love the feeling of having things in place...

Friend No Job
Just received news that my friend has been given a notice of termination from her job which was to take immediate effect. That's so unfeeling! Well, there had been a acquisition and in a bid to review workload, the company which bought over the company my friend was in started laying off staff, citing "redundancy" as a reason. Anyway, on one hand, I was happy for my friend because she seem to be having a tough time at her new workplace but also understands that she would of course be concerned about getting a new job. Will be keeping her in prayers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!