.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, November 19, 2005

 

Eventful Day

Listen to this article Listen to this article

"Today is a real eventful day", that was the first thing I told myself when I opened my eyes in the morning... I had to go attend a meeting with volunteers in the morning to discuss an upcoming event, in the afternoon, I got to go help out with the preparations for a friend's wedding dinner later that day.

Meeting with Volunteer
The meeting with volunteers went extremely well. I was still worried about it because I had previously had a brief meeting but because there was no structure... nothing much was achieved. With the event just 2 weeks away, I just needed to make sure that things are running well and if not, I needed to know that someone will look into things to make sure the event will run well.

I can't help it but sometimes I am just a very structured person and wants to make sure that proper planning is done for everything I was involved in. I think that also explains the reason why I love developing guides and workflows.

Surprisingly, everyone was very cooperative and we covered a lot of ground during the meeting (though I kind of get the feeling that volunteers just do not like such planning, they just like to go ahead and "do it"!). Surprisingly also, I was rather extroverted today at the meeting despite meeting new volunteers. How I hope I can remain this way with my volunteers instead of constantly shying away.

On my way home from meeting, I saw Mr Chiam See Tong (politician from opposition party) who was dressed rather casually and was carrying some plastic bags (think he just finished shopping at the market). First time seeing him at close range and he just didn't seem to put on airs and just look like you and me... I just went home and typed the meeting minutes and soon was preparing to leave for the hotel.

Wedding Planner
First time being a wedding planner; was appointed as the "operations manager" by my friend to make sure the dinner went well. I didn't really know what was expected of me until we met with the hotel team. I had to:
  • Liaise with the captain to let them know 10 minutes before to open the banquet room doors so that guests can proceed to the dinner from the reception
  • Liaise with the captain to prepare them for the 1st march-in
  • Monitor the consumption of wines
  • Help explain to guests should they request for beer (as beer will not be served at the dinner)
  • Help monitor the tables and open the reserve table if necessary
  • Help coordinate the photo taking
Fun, fun, fun but somehow think I was more excited than my friend; he seemed so relaxed one :) Anyway things went well too and I am glad although I did not do much. Had a first hand look into how a wedding is planned.

Facing a Soured Friendship
Because this friend who is getting married is a common friend with me and my friend who was "beginning to hate me", it is inevitable that we will meet at the dinner (and especially I am helping to coordinate the photo-taking, I am sure to meet him). I seriously dreaded this day because I didn't know how to "behave" when I see him; I didn't want to be not genuine and yet hope things not to worsen. I had wanted to be prayed for this at last week's service but did not have the courage to go forth. However, I did ask to be prayed for this at my cell group yesterday and just hope things will go well.

In the end, I saw him as he was walking into the reception hall. He caught me by surprise and I did not know what to do because he just suddenly came through the door beside me. I just smiled but he just walked on... not sure if he caught my smile.

Later throughout the dinner, I sat in such a way that he was sitting 2 o'clock to me and I can see him at the next table and so could he. Several times, I did try to catch a glimpse to see if he was looking over (and I kind of get the feeling he also did that) but throughout the whole dinner, our eyes never did cross path. If indeed he did try to look over, I presented myself to be cheerful and was smiling the whole while I was talking to people on my table (not sure how he would interpret that).

When I later went around to help coordinate the table photo-taking, I went to his table but did not look at him directly; was looking at everyone else and asking them to prepare themselves for the photo-taking.

Although it could have gone better but I am at least glad that it did not worsen things (I hope).

Answered Prayers
I think at least all 3 prayers were answered and I can ask for nothing more...

Post-Dinner Celebrations
After dinner, went out with my friends and brought them to Le Meridien Changi Village to share with them my latest discovery. We later adjourned to Fishermen's Village in Pasir Ris for drinks. I have never drank so much in my life and I guess I was "concussing" by about 2am, after having downed a glass of champagne, 2 glasses of red wine, 1 glass of white wine and a bottle of hooch. By the time we got to Changi Airport, I was literally semi-conscious and slept throughout the journey home. But I think I slept quite soundly the whole night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!