.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

 

Kicking Myself!

Listen to this article Listen to this article

I am really horrible in event management (though it was one of the careers I considered in the past) and it doesn't help that my personality is such that I am always "paisay" to ask for help...

Recently, I am supposed to help coordinate an exchange programme; some Japanese delegates are coming over to Singapore. So far, I just happily did the background coordination work for the delegates to visit the other centres in my organization until recently, when it was proposed that the delegates visit my office as well.

It will be great having the delegates over but since I am working in headquarters, I soon find myself having to plan the programme for the visit here and have to coordinate with the big bosses and officers to come and meet the delegates... Got so disappointed when I later realized I had so many oversight e.g. I assumed that the room, where we are going to welcome the delegates, will be available and it didn't occur to me to book the room until I was prompted by my boss. Also I invited my big bosses to come and meet the delegates without a proper programme done up, so I ended up with not knowing what to say when my big boss asked me what is her role there... real disappointing and embarrassing! Nothing crucial happened yet and I managed to put together a detailed programme but just can't believe I had such serious oversight... (Picture "Karate Kick" by sol_one)

But still, I am happy that this came in time for me to remind myself (and kick myself) that I need to sit down and think it through very carefully... so all's not lost... T..h..a..n..k God! Can't imagine what will happen if this had not come and I assumed things will just work well until the day.

How Are You?
Three very simple words but a colleague taught me yesterday how these three simple words can mean quite a bit... Just yesterday, I had a colleague walk past my office and as she passed by my door, I smiled as usual and muttered "how are you?" not expecting a response because I always seems to be so softspoken people usually can't hear what I said or else, most people would just say "fine, thank you". Frankly, though I know it is nice to ask people how they are; it kind of conveys care and concern for another individual but there is just this fear of rejection when people say "I am fine, thank you" and walk on... (Picture "Question Mark" by afreeta)

Anyway, this very day, my "how are you?" got a response and it kind of give my colleague the opportunity to share a struggle she has... this really caught me by surprise because I expected a "I'm fine, thank you" and for her to just continue on her way. Anyway, at the end, it was really great to know that it felt better sharing and I am really really happy to hear that. Thinking back, I asked a similar question to my part-time colleague too and surprisingly, it provided an opportunity to share. Everyone of us have issues and as much as we might want to go about looking strong and confident, it always feels good to know you have people who care for you nearby, I would. So when was the last time you asked someone how they are? As the bible suggests, "love thy neighbour" and how can you start but by simply asking how they have been doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!