.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 

Standing Firm

Listen to this article Listen to this article

I guess I had enough of stress at work and having work increasing several folds because the volunteer programme is just not responding fast enough to take in the volume of volunteer applications coming in.

It was like a pressure cooker the past few weeks... combining the fact that I had been out of office for conferences, volunteer fairs, meetings and projects, piling emails and voice mails and also some centres are not following up fast enough to place volunteers... a disaster was just brewing, waiting to spill over.

So, I made a decision yesterday and did something which I did not expect myself to do... I decided to be assertive and made a decision to stop active recruitment of volunteers and boldly sent an sent to all centres announcing the decision, stating that we are indeed not coping with the influx and there are currently many "unaccounted for" placements. Had to reiterate the importance of proper follow-up with volunteers.

I am generally a person who finds problem being assertive but then, with all the stress, I find myself in a situation where I needed to stand firm and proactively do something for myself... Surprisingly, a couple of colleagues wrote back to say that I did the right thing sending that email out and apologies for any oversight. First time I am assertive and yet don't feel guilty about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!