.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

My Body on Strike

Listen to this article Listen to this article

"Stop, in the name of rest"
My body has decided to finally go on strike today; came down with fever and flu. This is rather surprising considering it was just a long weekend a few days ago and I was only back in office for just a day before I feel ill... Seriously, am beginning to feel the toll of work on me

But I just can't believe I let it happen to me again... was burnt out last year before I left my ex-workplace and now I let it happen to me yet again... sighhh, just don't seem to learn my lesson.

I still like my job but recently i feel I am getting "lazier" and I do start to dread to go to work on some days. Compared to the first few months at work, I seem to have relatively more to do then but somehow the pace has slowed down now... maybe my body and mind is telling me to slow down since I seem to be going in all directions everyday, with so many things on mind...

But I don't think it is the work that is the culprit since I am working relatively less hours nowadays compared to my ex-workplace; I force myself to finish work by 8pm latest and on most days I go home relatively on time. The real culprit: me thinking and worrying about the work all the time; my mind is forever ticking away and it becomes so difficult to stop... I can be thinking about work, projects and volunteers this moment and about my volunteer work with my association, personal matters at another moment...

Even today, I still keep thinking about work while I was at the doctor's; I had even thought of coming back to do a bit of work. Eventually, I struggled to force myself to rest and sleep and just do nothing... No wonder my body gave up on me... When I called this morning, my colleague "scolded" me for working nonstop... "See la, see la... told you don't work till so late, you don't listen".

OK OK, I get the message... will pace myself. Maybe I just need to impose "speed limits" on myself and pace myself. Need to keep reminding myself now that I had recently joined a taskgroup for media relations & publicity with my professional association and another committee for a recrutiment & programmes for a new association for volunteer managers.

Work Satisfaction
But sometimes, the hard work pays off and it just gives me satisfaction knowing that a piece of work is well done. Guess that is what I can't let go of; the work statisfaction, which explains why I am a workaholic.

Just 2 days ago, my boss told me that someone had suggested I be seconded back to my ex-workplace to help out. Of course my boss didn't agree and I wasn't comfortable with that as well since I will most probably get myself into more trouble and will most probably not be able to cope on both sides.

Yesterday, a friend from the committee contacted me and again wanted to sound me out to see if there is any chance of me going back to help, either as a full-time staff or as a committee member. I told her frankly that I am not ready for it because it will just not be fair to my current organization and my boss. Moreover, it won't look good on my resume since I seldom stay more than 1.5 years in an organization. Didn't really consider joining the committee as well since I have some emotional buggage that I had brought along with me after I left the workplace; I just wasn't ready to work with some of these people again. I did however affirmed my support to them and mentioned that I will help "behind -the-scenes" in all ways I can. I too want to do my part for my profession. All these just show that my work is at least appreciated (although a bit too late) and I can be at peace with myself that I have did my best.

Back in my current organization, I had someone who had seen a piece of work I had done recently and commended me through email, saying that it is impressive and I that I seriously deserve a raise but not without also asking me "which planet I came from?". Well, OK, that felt good but seriously I have to think whether it is really worth it if eventually I burn out again... anyway, don't really want all these praising to get in my head and start being complacent...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!