.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, January 27, 2006

 

Where's the Mission Statement?

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Something really upsetted me quite a bit today, to the extent I had this pounding headache which lasted all the way till the night when I had cell. Really really made me very "sian"

What happened was that: I took the initiative to start a volunteering newsletter to help feature volunteering opportunities in my organization so volunteers can better know how they can contribute to the care of the beneficiaries and spent a good whole few days working on it.

However, hours after sending the latest issue, I received an email from my director, who responded to a email from an officer complaining how I have missed out the mission statement of my organization and bible verses on volunteering despite having emailed me a couple of weeks ago (when I sent my first issue) to include them. I had since included the mission statement, copying it from the organization's website (but apparently, she was referring to the international mission statement, not the Singapore one) but have decided to not include the bible verses since I work with volunteers from all walks of life, racial and religious background. Didn't really want to perpetuate the perception that we only welcome christian volunteers since all volunteers, regardless of who they are, are welcome to come and work with our beneficiaries. But then came the complain email to my boss (and I wasn't even in the receipient list, only know about the email when my director replied and carbon-copied to me).

It is a fact that I missed out the international mission statement and thought that she wanted the Singapore one and that I left out bible verses on volunteer, for above-mentioned reasons. But I was upset with the manner the email was sent, direct to my boss (not even with me in the cc list). I was also upset how the officer asked for affirmation that "'we' are not ashamed of the gospel", somehow implying that I am ashamed of the gospel? I am not, I repeat, I am not ashamed of the Word of God, His scriptures and in fact have bought a study bible to learn from His word. OK, maybe I will be blamed for not fulfilling my purpose of evangelism.

In fact, to be frank, I had re-drafted this blog entry because I might have been to emotionally affected by the incident I might not have been objective.

One thing positive from the incident: I went to the bible and looked for verses on volunteering and somehow the verses helped me with my view of things since I always seem to have a low self-esteem. It assured me of my worth as a child of God.

1 Peter 4:10 says:
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.


Romans 12:4-8 says:
4. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,
5. so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
6. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his[b]faith.
7. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach;
8. if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.


Indeed, aren't we all the same but yet different in the way that we have different giftings, or strengths and talents and so should we use it to bless others and do good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!