.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, October 15, 2005

 

Tired but Happy

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Alright, I have completed my first week @ work. Somehow, when I woke up today, this Saturday morning seems to feel different... Yes I am tried but then I find that I am also happier.

A Different Work Culture
I still can't believe that I am so tired this week despite the fact that I was out of office visiting centres and have not really officially started work. Guess all the travelling has taken its toll on me. Over this one week, I have met so many people. Up till now, I am really very impressed with what I see and really happy with the work culture here. The whole organization really seems like one big family and you can literally feel love everywhere... Everybody is so nice to one another despite their position and you basically call everyone by their first names, no Mr-what, Ms-what...


team meeting by wagg66

Take yesterday's meeting for example, the culture is really different from other places I have been. In most places, meetings are solemn affairs and when it comes to tasks to be done, not many will willingly take up the task. However, when I went to the meeting yesterday I was so amazed that everyone actively participates in the meeting and volunteers to undertake tasks. There was also so much fun and laughing around, even with the directors (at one point, someone even wanted to cheekily throw a cup at someone :p), but in the end, work is still done... really very different culture; one where you can feel love and passion @ work.

Concerns about Work
Work-wise I am starting to get the hang of things and the tour of all the centres really did help me to better understand all the centres and their services (since I am a more "visual" person), would be crucial since I need to know the vokunteer needs to be able to channel appropriate volunteers to the appropriate centres and programmes. I am not worried about channeling volunteers but rather concerned when I am approached to provide volunteers for projects because I do not know which pool of volunteers to tap and so on. Praying for God's blessings and guidance in coping with the porfolio and also helping me to implement some of the ideas I have for my work.

The week has definitely been a tiring week but I also find myself happy to be in my new workplace... and now I cherish my weekends more for rest and more fellowship with my friends.

Going for Cell
Could have given myself the excuse that "I am too tired" and "cell is too far away from my workplace, at the other end of Singapore" but I pick myself up and nonetheless took a 1hr 15mins bus journey to cell group. Anyway, found myself to be a little more opened-up at cell today, relative to last week. Maybe because I am beginning to warm up to the cell or maybe because I have been amidst nice people the whole week and is less uptight with all the love around... I thank God for that.

Being God-Centered & Sharpened Spiritually
Anyway, our cell leader was not around yesterday as she went on a missions trip. Hence the cell was taken over by another one of our cell mates and he was so easily embarrassed that we kept laughing because it felt funny running the cell group without our leader. Anyway, we discussed the last sermon in cell and the "replacement" cell leader told us to take a piece of paper and draw a big heart and position Christ and 2 other things that are important in our lives in the heart, with the one which means the most to us towards the centre of the heart. In the end, I drew Christ, family, friends and work relatively near to the centre. I shared that I am still in the midst of trying to put Christ towards the centre, something that could be quite easy since I am working in a christian organization now and I can see the grace of God at work everyday. However, I tell myself I must be careful not to let work be my centre again, it is so unstable. But I still hold family and friends close to my heart. Also was reminded to have a mentor or at least an accountability partner to help sharpen ourselves spiritually.

Scared of Praying in Groups
I think I have a problem... I do not know how to pray! It may sound ironical but then it is something that I am worried because sometimes you will be called upon to pray for others amidst a group and everyone seems to be able to pray for so long while my prayers are so "short and sweet". I mean I know that the genuineness, rather than the length, of the prayer is important but there is just this peer pressure and not wanting to appear "weak" in front of them... ego thingy la... something I have to work on.

To the Airport!
After cell, met my friends for a while for a short roadtrip to the airport to chill out the rest of the night (or shall I say early morning) before we retired for the day.

Hope I will be using this weekend productively and meaningfully for rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!