.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 16, 2005

 

It Rained, and It Rained and It Rained...

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Today was really a wet wet day; it was almost raining the whole day...

Leading a God-Centered Life

When I stepped out of my house to make my way to service, it was still bright and sunny. Little did I know that when I exited Pasir Ris station, it was pouring heavily (and I do not have an umbrella with me since I did not anticipate the rain).... was eventually stuck outside Downtown East; had no choice but to wait till the rain stopped since the way to the church was not sheltered. So near yet so far... and to make things worst, I am already running late for service.

Waited for some 15 minutes before a friend appeared with an umbrella. We both waited for another friend who was on the bus on the opposite side of the road. Again, so near yet so far, we can literally see her in the bus but then it was stuck in the jam. Miraculously, it stopped raining after my friend alighted from the bus and we quickly made our way to church... we were even saying cheekily "someone must have prayed for the rain to stop".


Jam Jam...

Anwyay, today's sermon is the last one on the "Burnout to Balance" series and today's topic was on "How to Simplify (Life)".
Do Not Worry (Matthew 6:25-33)

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Anyway, the focus for verse 33 should be on "seek his kingdom and righteousness" and not on "and all these things will be given to you"; this should not be misquoted and misinterpreted; we shouldn't be seeking the kingdom of God and his righteousness just becasue we want our paryers answered.

We were challenged to be (completely) humble and gentle and confess our sin of pride, doing what God would want us to do that would make a difference. This really does simplify matters doesn't it? Anyway, was asked by the pastor to think about one thing that God would want us to do; one thing came to mind: to salvage a hurt friendship.


Surprisingly, this came to mind because I was suddenly thinking about the hurt friendship on my way to church. I prayed and asked God for wisdom and courage to do that but confessed that I am lost and know not what to do (since I felt hurt too) or whether this is what God wants me to do. I do not know whether it is a sign but then the next worship song we sang is one which that friend has played before in his car... I did eventually took the courage to make the first step and messaged him a picture "have a nice day" sms. He didn't reply until late this evening, the tone seems to be hostile and suspicious but yet I sensed a bit of depressed feeling. I don't blame him coz I was the one who withdrew from the friendship in the first place. I will leave it in the hands of God.

I bought 4 copies of last week's sermon on "purpose-driven life" and shall be sharing and giving these to my friends whom I felt would benefit from it (well I had) :)

Reminded of a Hurt Relationship
I had mentioned that I am happier now but all of a sudden, I was reminded about my hurt friendship with that friend who "was beginning to hate me" yesterday.

You see, both this friend and me are supposed to be in another friend's wedding "band of brothers" but because our friendship has soured, I have pulled out of it. However, it seems that the prospective bride did not know about it and spoke to me as if I am still a "brother". I eventually called her prospective husband to remind him that I am no longer a "brother" but feel extremely bad that I am putting him in a spot but what has to be done needs to be done, or else there will be unhappiness during his wedding, something I do not want to see.

I seemed to have successfully suppressed this negative feeling until now. It is really coming back to haunt me again.

It Never Did Stop
The rain just went on and on the whole day... and so did my mouth... don't know what is wrong with me this weekend, so talkative... anyway, in the end, had to walk for 10 mins in rain as I made my way home... hope I don't fall sick...


Wet Wet Pavement


Wet Wet Watch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!