.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

5-Days Long Weekends

Listen to this article Listen to this article

I have just been given a 5-days long weekend... well not really; had just fallen sick and has been given 3 days MC.

3 days ago, I was already feeling a little "flu-y" and as I made my way to a meeting in the afternoon in a taxi, I felt a little car sick and dizzy. After the meeting, I took the train back but remembered that I was dizzy and almost fainted a couple of times... something was just not right.

Wednesday morning, I felt so uncomfortable and so I decided to call in sick. Didn't manage to go to see a doctor until late morning after I finished a report I promised my boss, since she needed the information to report on it later in the day. The stubborn me just continued to work on the unfinished portion of the report from the previous day, despite my boss telling me to rest and that I can submit my report when I am better.

Poly or Private?
By this time, my ears were blocked and I still have these back aches and fainting spells occasionally. I made a decision that I am not going to visit the polyclinic given the recent experience in the hospital; I had brought my dad for his medical follow-up but ended up waiting for some 3 hours and not even knowing why we are waiting. I just somehow got so sick (pun unintended) of waiting so I decided to visit the private doctor's instead.

New or Old?
Then I had to make another decision. I had in front of me, two clinics... one modern-looking family clinic and one old looking clinic with an appearance and furniture that make you feel you were back in the 80s. Anyway, I chose the older looking one (don't ask me why). Maybe somehow I felt that the doctor might be more experienced and given that he/she is able to survive till this day would mean he/she is not that bad, right?

When I entered the clinic, I realized that there was no one at all and the furniture really looked like it was from some set of some 80s TV serials. There behind the counter, I saw this nurse who was deeply engrossed in his/her newspaper (could tell his/her gender). I tried to make my presence felt and she (turned out to be a lady nurse) turned around to attend to me. Was quite shocked to see her rather shabbily dressed in this T-shirt which had holes in them. I didn't expect to see a shabbily dressed nurse in a clinic. Right now, I was really thinking "why have I chosen to come to this clinic?". Anyway, I did eventually decide to stay even though I was told that the doctor is not around and that he will only return in 10 minutes.

While I sat and wait, I noticed the hand-written note at the counter which indicated the consultation fee but what caught my attention was "charges may vary and needy cases pay minimal". "Maybe this is a kind-hearted doctor", I consoled myself. Soon, a nice old gentleman came in and he entered the consultation room. So he is the doctor.

I was soon beckoned to enter the consultation room. Upon entering the room, I was again surprised to find the room sparsely decorated with just a table, two chairs, one examination bed, a sink and a fridge... it felt so... empty. Anyway, to cut a long story short... the doctor turned out to be a friendly person and chatted with me... he also seemed experienced and gave me my diagnosis soon after. He also take the time to really explain my diagnosis (maybe because he was really nice or maybe because he had no other patients). I had some acute viral bronchitis with flu. And I thought I just had flu.

Anyway, he soon told me that he is going to give me 2 jabs and give me medicine and asked if I can afford as the bill will come up to $100. I wasn't really needy nor rich but yet I wasn't really in a good state to think. So I said "OK" and was given two jabs; one on each arm and was also given my medication. Felt better but then soon realized I had another symptom... "heart pain ah"... $100. Anyway, my friend told me that I might have been fleeced. Well, I hope not... anyway, I did feel better and had 3 days of good rest.

The dizzy spells were finally gone by the third day and I thank God for the rest, although most of the time I did nothing but just laid down there on my bed. Occasionally, I did a bit of other stuff since I was also volunteering as a board member elsewhere and it was also a good time for me to catch up on my blogging.

Thank God I am OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!