.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, October 28, 2005

 

I am Walking Medicine Cabinet!

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Sick Puppy!
It is difficult not to feel like a sick puppy... I have been given so many medicine to take until I can't remember which I have taken, which I have not... hard to keep tabs... just remember keep popping pills... there is medicine for my headache, my fever, my cough, my sore throat, my flu and my daily medical diet looks like this...



Little orange pills, little white pills, red and yellow ones, yellow and green ones... yes I gotta be very free to be able to do up the chart above (but guess it helps reminds me visually, I learn better visually)

Of all the pills, I must remember to finish my course of antibiotics since I remember hearing that we have to finish antibiotics or else the viruses get immuned to it.

It Rained Hard!
Was groggy yesterday from illness and the pills and remember that it suddenly rained real hard yesterday with lightning and thunder... it was really frightening, no joke. Remember thinking to myself "Judgment day is here so soon?" and then asked myself "Am I ready for judgment day?"

What's Wrong with these People?
Just saw TV footage of child abuse reported in a Turkey orphanage... I mean what's wrong with these people? Do they derive great pleasure in seeing children suffer?
"In one scene, a woman was shown knocking together the heads of two little boys before pushing them to the ground. In another, a group of small boys and girls were stripped naked and hosed down with what was described as scalding hot water. When one of the children complained, the attendant was shown hitting him on the head with a fist-sized stone." ! The Los Angeles Times

"The footage showed children aged six and below being beaten and abused by staff at the orphanage, with once case showing a baby having a pillow put over its face to silence its crying." ~ NTV MSNBC
The funny thing is this: I can't seem to find much news coverage on this on the web, which could, in my opinion, point to 2 things: (1) this is just not news-worthy or (2) this is not real. The fundamental question remains in my mind: how did they get the footage, bearing in mind that the abuse were carried out right in front of the camera. Whether it is real or not, I condemn whoever is responsible. If it is real, I condemn those who abused the children, if not, then I condemn whoever masterminded the tape, sicko!

Heart-Warming or Heart-Wrenching?
I wonder how many of you managed to catch the latest VISA advert starring Richard Gere in India.

In brief: the ad shows a local bringing Richard Gere around the town market. As they pass by a stall selling pigeons, the local explained that if they free the birds, it would bring good luck; more birds, more luck.


A little girl ran into Gere, seemingly in a hurry, she gathered herself and continued on, looking back to look at Gere a few times.

The scene cut to her at a pigeon stall, explaining to the stall-owner that her brother is going away and she would like to buy pigeons to free to wish him good luck. She dishes out a handful of coins but was told by the stall-owner that was only enough to buy one pigeon. With great disappointment, she took over a cage and walked away. Having seen what went on, Gere flashed his VISA card and immediately all the stall-owners eyes "sparkled".


The scene cut to the little girl calling out to her brother who was getting ready to board a camel (I think) and just as she was holding out her cage, hundred of birds flew from behind her. The delighted girl turned her head to look at Gere, who, almost with a kind of childishness, looked away and feign ignorance.

I have mixed feelings about this ad. On one hand, I find the ad condescending... almost like having the "white guy to the rescue", the "white guy is always so kind", "the asian needs the white guy's help" kind of notion. But on the other hand, with the issue of race aside, I like the ad as it showcases human goodness and kindness at work... doing good but trying to remain anonymous (though having that innocent, childish kind of ignorance). Depends how you look at it.

Watch the advert at http://agencyfaqs.com/advertising/imedia/rams/visa_1506_2005.ram

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!