.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 27, 2005

 

Sick!

Listen to this article Listen to this article

OK, fell sick today. By the time I woke up this morning, I had fever, headache, flu and sore throat...

Made my way to work as usual and because I couldn't take it by late morning, I soon went to a nearby clinic to see a doctor... haven't been to see a private doctor for ages, usually would go to polyclinics for medical consultation (but the polyclinic near my house is closed for renovations). Anyway, was spoilt for choice which clinic to go to... there were like 4 clinics on the same stretch of shops, some were crowded while some had only 2-3 patients waiting inside. Well, the crowded ones should be good right? But I just could not take it anymore and eventually chose one particular clinic and registered myself.


Didn't really know how much it would cost to see a private doc and when I heard the 2 previous patients paying like $80 and $120, I almost freaked out (it was more than what I had in my wallet). Wondered why their medicine were so costly, then remembered that this may be the clinic that is famous with their slimming pills. Anyway, in the end got a whole lot of medicine, antibiotics, pills for fever, painkillers, cough syrup and lozengers, 1 day MC and luckily paid just $24 for it... phew!


Went home to rest and the journey home seemed to take forever.


Today's lesson seems to be on thanksgiving. At staff devotion, we saw a video on the work done by the Salvation Army in Africa and India and we were asked to give to the cause...
the philosophy is simple: 1. We give, 2. Jesus blesses the gifts, 3. Salvationist distributes gift, 4. the needy receives.

The "giving" was conducted in an interesting manner and because the theme was "planting 4 the future", there was this potted plant in the room and we were encouraged to walk up to the tree, give our envelops and say a few phrases of blessings as the whole group sang "Give Thanks". Even though sick, I am reminded how fortunate we are as compared to many of the needy in those countries and so I blessed them with my little gift... parted with my new $10 bill, those new plastic one... have been keeping it for sometime but felt pointless to keep it when it could be used for a better cause...


I like a parable which was presented:

a old lady was asked why she planted a tree and she replied that she is planting the tree for her children and her children's children. Just as she has found fully-grown trees in the world grown by others for her, she is also planting the trees for the future.

I found the following parable on the net, think is the same one:

Rabbi Yohanan said: One day, Honi the Circle Maker was walking on the road, and he saw a
man planting a carob tree. He asked him, “How long will it take this tree to bear fruit?” The man replied, “Seventy years.” He asked, “Are you quite sure you will live another seventy years to eat its fruit?” The man replied, “I myself found fully grown carob trees in the world; as my forebears planted for me, so am I planting for my children.” - Babylonian Talmud, Ta’anit

We should always remember how blessed we are and bless others in return.

Anyway, finally got to go with my friend to Bottle Tree Village in sembawang yesterday evening... nice place to go to and the trees look unique but I think the food there is bit on the ex side... the whole evening, we were playing with his GPS receiver... fun.


Road to Bottle Tree Village... dark


The Bottle Trees

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!