.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 03, 2008

 

Hate Being Caught in Between

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Sigh, kind of upset with something which happened at work today. Some months back, I referred someone who was arranging for some overseas student volunteers to come to Singapore to offer their voluntary services to our centres. I met up with the person-in-charge and we discussed about the possibilities of working together. During the discussion, we exchanged concerns and there was a question about meals, accommodations etc. I remember upon handing over to the centres, I specifically asked my colleagues to advise whether they can help with provision of lunch for the volunteers since the person-in-charge of coordinating the programme asked about it.

Well, that was a few months ago. To my horrors, I received a phonecall from this person-in-charge seeking my help because it seems that, with just a few days to the arrival of the volunteers, she is now being asked to pay for the lunch for the volunteers. She also told me that one of the centres suddenly introduced "outings" into the programme and asked for help with paying for the meals and the transport of the volunteers. The person-in-charge did say that she is not able to cater to the request as this was not discussed initially and hence, she does not have a budget for it.

Frankly, I do not know what went wrong but then it sure is a horrible feeling trying to call the two parties trying to find out what happened and play peacekeeper. I had to be sensitive and make sure I don't misrepresent any side while talking to the other side but things did not seem to work out well in the end, with the person-in-charge eventually saying that she does not understand the logic of it all (suddenly introducing the outing into the programme and asking for help with the cost) but in the end, after speaking to her counterparts in her home country (despite me already telling her not to because we managed to work things out internally) and mentioned that they will make a donation instead. Can tell she wasn't pleased at all with the matter.

Was rather disappointed that:
  1. the matter about the lunch etc was overlooked despite me asking very specifically that the centres advise on it.
  2. how could my colleague from this centre suddenly introduce an outing into the programme and ask for help with the cost when in the first place it was not even planned for
  3. things turned out this way with people feeling upset
  4. I did not seem to have handled it well and wondered if I made myself clear over the phone that she need not worry about the cost as we have worked it out internally and will be absorbing the cost
  5. I suggested that she make a donation instead should they wish to because I sensed she seemed to be feeling bad about us absorbing the cost (but on hindsight, I did not know if it was wise asking for donations)
Anyway, I do not know what went wrong or who is really at fault but then if I would guess, I may guess that it is highly possible that this colleague of mine may have indeed introduced this outing at the last minute, thus causing this confusion. I do know that this colleague is a go-getter and can sometimes be not as sensitive to how others would feel in the process of it, just like what happened the last time. I admire this colleague's gungho-ness but then can sometimes be too focused on tasks and forget about relationships. I hope I am wrong but then I just needed to ventilate.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!