.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

 

Born Into Brothels

Listen to this article Listen to this article

I have recently had the chance to speak to a prospective volunteer, who works as a freelance photographer, to teach our beneficiaries photography. All of a sudden, ideas came and the possibilities of this project just got me all so excited. (Poster source)

Maybe, this would explain why this DVD immediately caught my eye when I was in HMV last Saturday with my friend, browsing through the movies. Frankly, I don't really know what made me decide to buy the DVD (because I had no intention to buy anything) - maybe it is to get some inspiration for the volunteer assignment. maybe because it seemed like a meaningful film and I looovveee meaningful films, or maybe I just could do with positive inspirations amidst all the negativity of this world.

Anyway, I did not get to watch the DVD until today since I could afford the time, being on MC. I would say that it is a meaningful documentary. Even though it is full of dialogue and snippets of the lives of the children, something which would send the die-hard action movie buff yawning, it is really thought-provoking. It made me thank God for my current life circumstances and also see what life is like living in the red light district of calcutta. The film is brutally honest and there was even one scene where you see a lady yelling vulgarities and hitting a child. Many of the children have to deal with painful realities of having parents who yell vulgarities at them, having to witness their mothers involved in sex trade, having a father who smoke hash, losing one's mother when a pimp set her on fire, risk of being sold to the sex trade, having to be survive by being tough and mean despite being only a child and rejection by schools just because they are children of sex workers. But the beauty of it all is how a foreigner believed in them and taught them photography and how despite living in such life circumstances, they soon blossom into budding photographers and children who value the chance to be educated. It is a wonderful reminder that life still have its beautiful moments and people. And I love the part where they reconnected with the children 3 years later and the children all grew and seemed to be doing well. (Photo source)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!