.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 

Getting the Hang of Leadership

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Week two of cell leadership and things are getting a little more bearable...

When I first started, I dreaded Fridays because I have to be placed outside my comfort zone to initiate and facilitate discussions; something which is difficult for an introvert like me... In fact, I would be all stressed up on Mondays and this will last till Friday. I am the most relaxed after cell till Sunday when Monday comes again and I will need to think and prepare cell for the next week.

But, I have come to kind of enjoy preparing for cell because there is a kind of satisfaction being able to read the bible and to get to know God's character and will better. There is also satisfaction when I am able to make sense of things and put them nicely together for cell discussion. I started to realize that this is the very kind of satisfaction that I sought when doing training, which I am starting to miss. Of course, the anxiety linked with having to facilitate discussions is still there. Somehow, I am still worried about how others will perceive me and whether I am doing the right thing.

But nowadays, I am less stressed and commit it to the Lord. After all, the important thing is not that I be heard but that God be heard through me... so I pray before preparation and before cell... I have seen how God has been faithful and has guided me in cell preparation, so much so I am amazed at the kind of things I come up with for discussion, by the end of the week. It happened again today and even though I only started to work on the cell discussion outline at about 6pm and spent a good whole hour talking to the security guard... time seem to always stand still when I work on cell discussion stuff. So, it is a common thing that I will be amazed everytime I look at my watch after I finish and marvel at how early it still is.

Inspirations and Insights for Cell Leading
Just this morning, I also suddenly have some inspiration and insights on leading cell groups, some of the new ideas I will only implement in time to come:
  • Importance of increasing ownership of cell by delegating roles out e.g. for refreshment coordination, birthday gift coordination, worship, outing and gathering, scribe, word facilitation, cell list, icebreakers, welcoming guests
  • Importance of growing members by shortening their learning curves e.g. getting members to rotate to do word facilitation, trusting them to be able to carry out their duties properly and shortening their learning curves by not interfering , which only steals their learning experience
  • Rotate the role of scribe and word facilitation so members will take turns to summarize the discussion each week, share how it spoke to them and lead in word discussion. This also helps in spiritual growth
  • Prayer - after recent blessings and answered prayer, have realized the power of prayer and the need to also pray for preparation, cell and its members
  • Focusing on Experiential Learning and Life Application during discussions to help ensure take-aways
  • Keeping a look-out for members who may need help - This is really difficult for me because I am just not the person who initiates contact
Word of God Speak
Just a few blog entries ago, I was blogging about my new favourite worship songs. Was listening to "Word of God Speak" today again and realized how beautiful a song it is for leaders, some parts of the song spoke to me...
  • "I'm finding myself at a loss for words, And the funny thing is it's okay" - Trust God in putting the right words into our mouth at the right time, to be used to minister to others...
  • "The last thing I need is to be heard, But to hear what You would say" - Leaders should seek to not be heard but to help other hear God
  • "Word of God speak, Would You pour down like rain, Washing my eyes to see Your majesty" - Leaders should pray to be able to see and share about God to its members
Spoke at lengths with the security guard today and it was great talking to him... realized that he used to teach at my secondary school for many years... had so much fun talking to him about the secondary school and about the teachers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!