.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 

Nevermind about Underpaid, Just Don't Overwork

Listen to this article Listen to this article

"Overworked and underpaid", that seems to be a common complaint I hear from people whenever they talk about their work and how it is "killing" them. I first heard this phrase from a JC teacher but now can better understand how hectic life can be for Singaporeans, as I again and again come into contact with friends who struggle with their career but yet not take the step to do something for themselves... Perhaps it is really true... the competition is real great and leaving a job which "kills" but pays well can be so difficult, especially when we are too comfortable with our current standard of living; the opportunity cost is just too great.

I have always believed that one's mental health is very important and it does not matter if one earns a lot but do not have the opportunity to really enjoy life and their work... No point waking up early in the morning and dreading to go to work and continue to live life like that... Things became even clearer after I came back from China and having experienced the sharp contrast of life here and there. I am also happy for a friend who has decided to leave his job which is taking a toll on him with late nights and yet having to report to work again early the next morning. And now I hear from a colleague and friend about this local blogger who died from overwork. My first impression was "you are kidding me" (yup, I can be quite blur to local happenings sometimes) but later come to realise that he wasn't joking. And it's happened so close to us, here in Singapore. It's almost like a reminder to us all that sometimes, it is health that is still important. So to all who is reading this and to all my friends, if you find yourself really overwork, do something before it is too late...

Ironically, May's last entry in her blog on 21 Apr says "... Just yesterday, I received an email from my job agency saying that a contract staff who's working in HP as well, passed away from heart attack, leaving his wife & kids... deja vu? coincidental? a warning sign? I dunno. I don't wanna end up dead for the sake of dough..." but it is just too late. Really, I don't hope there will be more cases similar to that of May Leong. But, it seems to be a reality we have to face. Before long, this will fade in the memory of people and it will be back to work...

May, may you rest in peace...

1 Comments:

Blogger NL@E said...

'I have always believed that one's mental health is very important and it does not matter if one earns a lot but do not have the opportunity to really enjoy life and their work... No point waking up early in the morning and dreading to go to work and continue to live life like that...'

Totally agreed. So you take care of yourself too, codfishy. You are busy with work most of the time, so I hope you do allocate sufficient rest time for yourself.

Take care, codfishy. ^_^

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!