.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

We are all discoverers... travelling the world, learning its truths, its people and its meanings every single day. Grab your backpacks and let's embark on this journey of mine, one that holds a lot of meaning to me... Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

 

Another Chance

Listen to this article Listen to this article

Sharing some notes I compiled from a staff devotion which we had recently :D hope it blesses you.

August 18, 2008

Another Chance

READ: Philemon 1:8-19
[You] have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him. —Colossians 3:10
For almost 100 years, a huge piece of flawed Carrara marble lay in the courtyard of a cathedral in Florence, Italy. Then, in 1501, a young sculptor was asked to do something with it. He measured the block and noted its imperfections. In his mind, he envisioned a young shepherd boy.

For 3 years, he chiseled and shaped the marble skillfully. Finally, when the 18-foot towering figure of David was unveiled, his student exclaimed to Michelangelo, “Master, it lacks only one thing—speech!”

Onesimus was like that flawed marble. He was an unfaithful servant when he fled from his master Philemon. But while on the run he came to know the Master Sculptor. As a changed man, he served God faithfully and was invaluable to Paul’s ministry. When Paul sent him back to Philemon, he commended him as one “who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me” (1:11). He asked Philemon to receive Onesimus back as a brother (v.16).

Paul knew what it meant to be given another chance after past wrongs (Acts 9:26-28). He knew personally the transformation God can accomplish. Now he saw it in the life of Onesimus. The Lord can chisel His image on our flawed lives and make us beautiful and useful too. — Albert Lee


Christ takes each sin, each pain, each loss,
And by the power of His cross
Transforms our brokenness and shame
So that our lives exalt His name. —D. De Haan

Our rough edges must be chipped away to bring out the image of Christ.


Amazing Grace - Charlotte Church

A Timely Message
For me, the passage seem like a timely reminder because the last weekend, my church celebrated its 17th anniversary but more significantly, it is also the 3rd anniversary of my coming back to Christ after 15 years of walking away from Him. 3 years ago, God has shown grace to me despite having backslided for a long time. But God has, in His time, paved the way and brought me people to bring me back walking with Him. So now, everytime the church celebrates its anniversary, I am reminded of His mercy and grace.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found..."

A Changed Person
The past 3 years had its many ups and downs. But then as I stood there at my church's celebration and as the song "Amazing Grace" was sang, I reflected and am reminded how so much has changed; about how He has helped me to deal with past hurts, called me to ministry, bless my hands and guided me in ministry, help me feel secure in Him (even during trials) and how He has also helped me slowly understand who He is and realises the power of His word as He continue to speak to me through it:

"...Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved...

...Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home. "

Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[a] who[b] have been called according to his purpose." says Romans 8:28 (NIV).

I strongly believe that sometimes certain things happen for a reason, just as how God has used my experience and past trials in helping me understand people and minister to them. I am not sure about it but then reading from Philemon, it seems that it was for a purpose that the slave left Philemon; that he become saved? Because in verse 15-16 it mentioned "Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good— no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord." So, Philemon's slave might become saved and became a "dear brother" and "a brother in the Lord".

Just like how God has Saul became king (1 Sam 9) and how subsequently David became king (1 Sam 16), I have come to realise how many many things have happened in my life for a reason. God has His purpose for things (though sometimes it seems so tough to endure):

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV) "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV) There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven

Bearing the Wages of Wrong
As we discussed devotion today, I am reminded how I am likened to the rebellious slave in the book of Philemon, who ran away from his master. But he met Paul who later wrote a letter back to his friend Philemon to ask for him to accept his slave back and that

"if he [the slave] has done you [Philemon] any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me [Paul]" Philemon 1:18 (NIV)

To me, it was as Christ had did, taking on our sins onto the cross for our forgiveness. Romans 6:23 (NIV) reminds us that "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord". Just as Paul as asked for forgiveness for Philemon's slave, so is Christ interceding for us:

"Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." Hebrews 7:25 (NIV)

Blessed to Bless
And upon reflecting on my walk, God not only saves, forgives but also blesses us and work through us so as to bless many others...

For me, it was first a call back and then the call to minister to others.

Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Genesis 12:3 (NIV) speaks of the Abrahamic Covenant and about our call in also bringing people back to Him after the fall.
"I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

God has a purpose for everyone to ultimately play a part in reconciling more and bringing more into His kingdom. Be it through directly serving in ministry in church or through the marketplace, God has given each and everyone of us SHAPE(Spiritual Gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, Experiences). 1 Cor 12 speaks of how we are all different and each have its gift and that these gifts are given by God for the common good of building the body of Christ...

Romans 12:6 (NIV)
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us."
1 Cor 12:7 (NIV)
"Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good."

So we do have SHAPE and a purpose in the kingdom of God. A purpose that does not stop at only God's people but for us as well, just as the sculptor, in today's devotional reading, envisioned a sculpture of a young shepherd boy, despite it being a huge piece of flawed marble. It became the renowed Michelangelo's sculpture of King David.
(Picture: source)

What's the Response?
Interestingly, nothing much was mentioned about what happened in the end; what's the response of the master and importantly of the slave too. It really makes me wonder... did the slave change? Did he, in the end, become "useful" (Philemon 1:11)? What about the master? Did he exercise grace and accepted the slave back? What about us? Are we like the slave? Do we recognise that we can go back to God and that Jesus is interceding for us? God is calling, are you listening? Do we believe that we can be greater in God with His purpose and vision of us? Do we change to become better after the return? What about exercising grace? Is there anyone who we need to exercise grace, just as Paul has received grace from God (having been a Pharisee and persecuted Christians) and showing grace to the slave? What would you do if you are the master?

To me, this is a short, yet meaningful book on second chances, forgiveness and grace. It's a small book (just 1 page in the New Testament) that I would have missed but just as the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15, this is as one of my colleagues has put it, a more impactful book about returning to forgiveness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get your own free Blogoversary button!